The top reason workers leave their job is a lack of career development, according to a 2018 Work Institute report.
More than one in five workers gave this as the No. 1 reason for leaving their employer, so in today’s environment, where the unemployment is as low as many have ever seen and there are more jobs than people to fill them, you need to pave the way to higher retention rates - not put up hurdles to staying.
A strategic use of a robust Learning Management System (LMS) will:
- Kickstart your employees’ career development tract
- Extend your onboarding, which increases engagement
- Increase your retention rate
- Improve employee morale
- Create a smarter, more efficient workforce
- Adhere to safety guidelines
A smart HR software will better position your business to achieve these outcomes, and here’s why.
It Makes Learning a Part of Company Culture
Company culture can sound like a buzzword, but in HR, it really matters. Culture, defined as the characteristic features of everyday existence, or a shared set of attitudes, values, goals and practices, is the backbone of most companies. A good company culture will bring higher employee satisfaction, better morale, higher retention rates and even a better bottom line; a struggling culture is toxic and breeds dissatisfaction at all levels and high turnover rates.
When you make continued learning a priority, you’re making a statement about what you believe in as a company:
- We believe in building employees up
- We believe in investing in our employees
- We want our employees to be the best versions of themselves
- We want employees who like a challenge
Like wearing your values on your sleeve, a commitment to providing continued learning to your workforce shows insight and authenticity within your organization.
It Communicates That Employees Have a Future With You
The data on lacking a quality continuing education program is a good news-bad news scenario:
- The Bad News: One in five exiting employees say they’re leaving because their company lacked the opportunity to grow in a preferred job or career (Work Institute).
- The Good News: There’s a simple fix - offer training that develops employees.
The opportunity to make a positive impact on your employee retention rate (critical in today’s historically low unemployment phase) is right in front of you. By inviting employees to take part in training programs that are job-specific, compliance-oriented or focused on developing “soft skills” like leadership skills or business ethics, you’re offering them opportunity. Ready to get started ASAP? Take a look at our quick-launch Learning Management System Checklist.
"Train people well enough so they can leave. Treat them well enough so they don't want to." - Sir Richard Branson
It Checks Off Compliance Requirements & Keeps Employees Safe
Here’s a startling fact: In 2018, an average of 14 full-time workers a day died on the job in America (OSHA). That’s 5,147 workers for the year, and most of those deaths were in the construction industry. In fact, the prevalence of construction deaths and injuries has its own name: The Fatal Four, and it includes:
- Struck by object
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), says that eliminating the Fatal Four would save more than 500 lives a years. And their recommendation? Follow OSHA’s Recommended Practices for Safety and Health Programs. When you train your employees in high stakes safety measures, you could be saving lives and limbs - not to mention lots of costly fines.
Looking for OSHA training? Our software includes ClickSafety, an OSHA course provider, to offer 10-hour and 30-hour OSHA certification courses.
It Tracks Development Over Time & By Employee
Career development is important on a professional and fulfilment level, but it’s also a critical business strategy. For HR professionals, proving ROI and examining performance trends is important when operating a flourishing business. With a full-service LMS like ours, you’re not only getting quality content, ease-of-use and seamless integration with other core HR components, you’re also getting powerful tracking tools:
- Notifications to employees and managers when training is required
- Automated communication when courses are completed or certifications are close to expiring
- Results in a centralized employee dashboard
- Reports that show results and track results over time
- Employees can upload their own qualifying certificates using their mobile devices
Ready to invest in your employees? It’s time to look at a high-performing LMS that makes your life easier, your employees more engaged and your workforce safer. Try a demo of our Learning Management System today.
You Might Also Like
- An Introduction to OSHA Training on the BirdDogHR System
- How to Improve Employee Morale and Job Satisfaction
- Top OFCCP Violations and How to Avoid Them